Friday, November 24, 2006

I failed a test.

So at school we don't give Fs to students who are failing classes. They get NCs - no credit. I have wondered why we do this since it is, in fact, failing to not earn 60% in a class. I guess the idea is that hearing "no credit" means more than failing? I think that it is mostly a nice way of communicating the message that they're failing. This week I failed a test. The lab technician at the doctor's office even said it that way - "Well, you failed the test." Yowsah. Not such good news.

So which test did I fail? The glucose screening. It is common for women to be tested around this time of pregnancy for
gestational diabetes. The first step is to do a blood test to see how high your blood sugar is. Mine was really high this week, ergo, I failed the test. Now I will go back next Wednesday for a 4 hour test to see how my body handles sugar over a longer period of time. Sometimes you can test really high in your first screening and do ok in the second. I guess that this is the most common pregnancy complication and the good news is that I can make some changes and it will not effect me or the baby for the rest of the pregnancy. That is really good news. But its still a little scary for me. I will keep you posted this week on the results.

Other news from the check-up... the baby is measuring right on target for 29 weeks. The heartbeat was averaging 148 that day, which according to old wives' tale means its a girl. That drew mixed reactions at our Thanksgiving celebrations yesterday. :) I will now go to the doctor every other week since we are in the third trimester.

Finally, I think we've found a
crib. I checked out the USA Baby store in Richfield and it is really nice. It is obviously all baby stuff, but much less overwhelming than Babies R Us. The room is all painted and now we need start filling it with stuff! :)

Today Erin and I continue our tradition of shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. I think we may have only missed one Friday after Thanksgiving shopping trip since high school.(??) We aren't too hardcore and we mostly shop for ourselves and go out to lunch. But we have a good time. And we do bust out the Christmas tunes... WITH WORDS!

See you next time...

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I always found if I Study hard I can at least get a D+ so read up but remember to take breaks when you need them.

Thanks for shopping, this will be the 1st annual Day after Thanksgiving Disc Golf outing with many to follow.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Dav-id, I will take your advice while preparing for Wednesday. :) Thanks for your last few funny posts.

Yes, it may be the annual Day After Thanksgiving Golf outing... hopefully next year it will be equally balmy so The Baby can join ya'll. :)

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home