Sunday, December 03, 2006

Birth and Parenting 101

Yesterday we attended the 8 hour Birth and Preparation class at the hospital. It was an interesting day. Here are some of my thoughts. Be forewarned that it’s a bit graphic and could be disturbing to some readers. Proceed with caution.

· So they showed us these big-ass pads (not to be confused with big ass-pads) that postpartum women have to wear for a few days at the hospital. They come with their own underwear. More scary than giving birth? I think so.
· The epidural process also looks pretty scary. So do episiotomies. So does the "transition" phase of labor. As do c-sections. Heck, the whole thing is a scary process.
· Andy is going to do a really good job during the labor process. Ask him to do his labored breathing demonstration for you sometime. I am lucky that he is calm.
· Quite possibly the most disturbing part of the birth process for me is the way that you cannot make plans for it at all. I need to come to grips with that. In my mind I have a way that I want it to go, but I'm sure that many of you would agree, it rarely goes that way. :) I am starting to counsel myself now.
· I'm getting pretty sentimental. I can't wait to see and hold our baby. Eyes on the prize. No matter how we get there, the goal's the same. And that will be awesome.

See you next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie.....I wish I could tell you that you are you have nothing to worry about... but it freaks the hell out of me as well. What freaks me out just as much is the feared day that you tell me that it really wasn't that bad! Isn't there some doctor or clinic that can have you take a nap and wake you up with a precious little Winebaby in you arms and you get to go home after you loose that post nap grogginess? Can you hear my falsetto? Andy help me with the calming breathing process here!!!! Okay let’s take a deep cleansing breath. Now we know that there are women who have had horrible experiences or cannot take pain and they have had more than one child. In fact there are some women out there that have had 10 babies and they continue to walk and talk and live a life. This little Winebaby has to have some magical powers to help you get past all that other junk. I think this is where faith is place else where, not on the physical body. I am really excited to meet this new member of the family. I promise to give it more love and attention than I do the cats; and I won't be as annoying to it as I am to Andy until it gets to puberty and deserves it. I miss you, and I miss our talks of this crazy stuff. Know that you are my hero (my sister is included in that status as well) because you have the strength and courage to be a Mom.
Be well and eat lots.
Susan

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home