Monday, January 15, 2007

The Baby's Room

I like to think of myself as an organized, carefully planned out, prepared person. I am finding this to not be the case. Or maybe it's just not the case outside of my mind. I have been making plans in my mind since June for the baby's room, yet is it set up and ready to go? Heck no. But we have made some exciting progress and I am posting some photos for you to see the chunks that are completed. I really envisioned having photos of a "Pottery Barn" nursery in our house to share with you, but that expectation has been replaced with a more sane one. :)

Photo #1 - Baby's Crib. Last night Andy and I set up the crib, which actually isn't the hardest thing we've ever put together. I love it and I think that it is perfect in our baby's room. A few thoughts though... As you know, I have been really concerned about our feline babies' (see Photos #2 and #3) and our human baby's interactions. I've read that cats are scared of aluminum foil, so if you lay it in the crib they jump right out once they land on it. If you've ever met our cats you can probably guess that this is entirely ineffective. Last evening we heard them jump in the crib a few times - even Bruno is not scared of it. Back to the drawing board on that one. Another thought is that I wasn't planning on getting a dust ruffle for the crib, but now I see that it will be necessary in order to cover up all of the hardware underneath the mattress. I think that I will wait to get one based on the sex of the baby, along with about a million other things that we are waiting on.


Photo #4 - Changing Table. I decided to get one that doesn't match (because the matching one was $500) and I'm ok with that. I called two people to get their opinions on contoured vs. flat changing pads. It seemed like the hardest decision of my life as I was standing in Babies R Us. Anyway, clearly the changing table will benefit from cute baskets and organization. I'm really excited that we have this piece of furniture taken care of though. We also have a logistical problem here - this covers up the modem for our internet and phone. Right now we have a phone cord stretched across the room and we are going to have to figure out how we will get the cord from the modem to the wall jack without creating a hazardous obstacle course across the doorway.

So we still need to think about some "finishing touches" that will come probably after the baby is born and a glider, which we're going to shop for next weekend. But the room is coming along nicely and is probably mostly functional (save the aluminum foil) in case we need it sooner than February 9th.

This weekend we attended our final baby prep class - "All About Babies." While some of the information in our classes has been a bit redundant, overall they were really good. In this class we learned about diapering, bathing, swaddling, car seats, and other aspects of caring for a baby. The class made me really excited for the baby to make its' appearance for the cute baby things - cuddling, cute clothes, playing with all the baby gadgets that we've received, and watching the baby in the "outside" world.

See you next time...

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Looks good. Great feeling to finally get furniture in the room.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home