Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hen-ry No Wanna...

Well, he didn't say it. But I know it's what he meant. My mom works with a woman who has a 3 year-old named Mitchell. Mitchell expresses himself by copping an attitude and saying things in the third person: "Mitch-ell no wanna go to bed." I don't remember if that's an exact quote, but along the lines of it. It amuses/d me greatly. Jill asked this weekend if I would be as amused if Henry acted that way. Touche, Jill. Touche.

So today was gorgeous, right? Our plan was to stroll around Lake Harriet. It was bumpy from the get-go. But almost EXACTLY half way around the lake from the car, Henry started screeching and having big tears, despite my attempts to placate him with toys, moving his sun visor, blocking him from the wind, etc. So we stopped at a bench and he got out and was so happy looking at the lake and feeling the breeze in his (almost there) hair. He loved "standing" up and amusing passer-bys. So when I put him back in his car seat/stroller travel system, he cried again, much more dramatic, "Hen-ry No Wanna Ride in Baby Seat." How old does this kid think he is? So in my frantic state of trying not to appear as worst-mother-at-the-lake, I unhooked his car seat portion and put him in the "regular stroller." And I proceeded to carry the car seat in one hand and push the stroller with the other. Hmmm. The image in your head is funny, no? It was. Anything to make my little bug happy. And not look like the worst-mom-at-the-lake.

For the record, there will be no more walks in the baby car seat portion of the stroller. Just the one for "big kids" now. I understand his need to wiggle around and see what's going on around him. I'm actually pretty excited that he is interested in the world - it's a good sign. And it was really cute how interested he appeared in sail boats, the trees, and the lake.

I have a feeling that someone somewhere might write about this story on their blog from their perspective. I must have looked pretty funny.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

And just to support my claim that he was happy looking around at the lake, I tell you that he let me cut his nails while he was looking around. How's that for distracted? Usually that only happens while he was sleeping.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home